Watched This Life + 10 on BBC2 last night. Oh dear. A real disappointment - and one which the reviewers seem to agree with as well...
Here's what I found a let down
1. Anna - a strong character who dominated the original reduced to a former alcoholic desperate for a baby. The only good bit was her rant over the dinner table about how women are in a no-win situation - but then that was completely and utterly nullified because for the rest of the time she looked cowed and desperate.
2. Was Miles's house not the ugliest place you have ever seen? How could everyone rave about it? Plus how could he ever have made that much to buy that place...?
3. What kind of advance did Egg get so that Milly could give up work to be with Oscar? Given even supernovelists tend to get a third on signing the contract, a third on delivery and a third on publication, his agent must have been Ed Victor.
4. Warren and Anna co-parenting. Not convinced
5. Miles's hair....Surely a plot development all in itself
On the plus side - liked the idea of the young filmmaker they were all obsessed with and while not totally convinced by the device, it did mean we could have some good pieces to camera. Egg's envy of Miles's riches - that dreadful moment when you realise that some of your friends are just so far ahead of you financially you will never be on a level playing field again. The point was well made about 30 somethings worrying they have made the wrong choices. And the dancing to A Design for Life was authentically gruesomely ten-years-too-old bad. I am never dancing in public again.
So I learned one thing from it at least.